Wednesday, July 20, 2011

"Chunk"

"Chunk"
Chunk
In searching for young pit bull type dogs to foster, I stumbled upon a craigslist post that a woman named Darlene who lives in Zebulon had posted about a 5-8 month old male pit bull type puppy she had found.  She did not feel she could take care of the dog, so I offered to foster the puppy. 



Chunk gives me kisses!


 A few days later, Darlene responded to my e-mail, saying that she and her husband had become attached to the puppy and that she wanted to keep him.  She asked me if I had any information about low cost neutering and vaccines, as she did not have the resources to provide the puppy with the medical care he would need. 
I replied to Darlene with the information that is now available on our blog (under the heading Low Cost Spay/Neuter Services).  She graciously thanked me for the information, and said that she and her husband were still unsure as to how they would pay for Chunk’s surgery and vaccines.  Understanding that the costs for the neutering and shots, while reduced, are still expensive, I offered to help out by covering the neutering costs if the family could cover the expenses of disease testing and vaccinations as well as heartworm and flea/tick preventative.  Darlene accepted our help and we agreed to work together to meet the puppy’s medical needs.

Chunk, me, and his mommy, Darlene



On Sunday, July 10, I went and met Darlene and her husband.  I brought them a 3-month supply of heartworm preventative.  The family was incredibly receptive to our suggestions and warmly welcomed us into their home. We have successfully scheduled the male puppy she has named “Chunk” an appointment at the SPCA’s Saving Lives Spay and Neuter Clinic for his neuter, disease testing, and vaccines next week.  Our friends at the SPCA have been amazing and have gone the extra mile to help us in our quest to help the pit bull breed by allowing us to make appointments for our dogs easily and by working the dogs we work with into their busy schedule.




Thank you to Darlene, her husband, and our wonderful friends at the SPCA (especially Ray and Dr. Foley)!

I will keep you updated on Chunk and his surgery and shots! He has found a wonderful forever home and his surgery undoubtedly go great!
Chunk and Chris play with a frisbee
Special thanks to Chris Cottrell for all of his help!

No comments:

Post a Comment